PICO California is the statewide collaborative effort of the PICO National Network of faith-based community organizations, representing 400 congregations and 450,000 families across the state.
Through our member organizations, PICO California unites people of diverse economic, racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds around a vision of racial and economic justice. Since 1994, PICO California has been at the forefront of organizing working families to improve schools, increase access to health care, end mass incarceration, win a pathway to citizenship, and improve the quality of life for our families and our communities. PICO California is the largest community-organizing network in the state. We are seeking individuals to join our growing staff team who are committed to a transformative racial justice movement (that demands reflection, introspection and truth telling) in order to actively dismantle racist structures in our society.
PICO California is currently seeking an experienced and dynamic Development Director to lead fundraising efforts for our statewide network. In partnership with the Executive Director, the Development Director will design and drive fundraising activities to meet a state revenue goal of $2.5 million, and seek ways to bring additional dollars — national, state and local — to support each organization in securing the resources required to effectively pursue the mission of winning change in the policies and programs that impact our families and communities.
By working collaboratively in a comprehensive strategy with the 19 local federations and national development staff, we seek to raise the awareness, focus and resources to address the systemic forces that impact families negatively. The Director will be part of a senior leadership team of PICO CA, and serve as a primary convener and an important resource across the state with the local federations to build an integrated fund development team including local, regional, and state staff and volunteer leaders.
This position will be primarily responsible for ensuring that the Network continues to deepen its existing relationships with the foundation community, as well as diversifying the donor base to promote long-term sustainability of PICO’s organizing work throughout Ca
How to Apply
All applicants must apply for this position online. (Click the “Apply for this Position” button below.)
Please have the following documents ready to upload to your online application:
1. An electronic file of your resume (preferably in PDF format) including salary history and 3 references ready to be uploaded with your online application.
2. A cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position, addressed to Kim Grose Moore, PICO CA Recruiter.
3. Two writing samples demonstrating your ability to think critically and communicate effectively.
If you need assistance with your application, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUBJECTS: COMMUNITY IMPROVEMENT/DEVELOPMENT
JOB TYPE: DEVELOPMENT/FUNDRAISING
WORKING CLOSELY WITH THE PICO CA EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR AND LOCAL EDS, THE DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR WILL:
• Drive a strategy to secure the current budget for PICO CA ($2.5M) and PICO organizations throughout California ($7-8 M collectively).
• Lead the development of a strategy to grow and diversify the funding for PICO organizing in California significantly over the next 3-5 years, including through innovative ways to build grassroots support.
• Implement the annual fundraising plan for PICO CA, including grant writing and reporting, managing fundraising calendar and ensuring timely completion of all grant proposals.
• Build a fund development network across the network of 19 organizations, working closely with regional Development Directors in the Bay Area and Central Valley, and local EDs. This statewide system will allow the organizations to jointly seek larger and longer-term funding commitments from foundations, corporations and individuals.
• Serve as a coach and support to local Executive Directors (especially new ones), sharing information, knowledge of the funding community, and tools for fund development planning, strategy, and success.
• Build a team of fund development staff and volunteer leaders throughout the state, to strengthen fund development capacity at the local affiliate level, and align funding strategy across the state for greater results.
• Design and implement a strategy to identify and cultivate new donors and funding sources and to steward current ones.
• Write fundraising letters and appeals; maintain regular correspondence with foundations, donors, and board members; oversee mailings on behalf of the ED.
• Ensure appropriate and effective use and improvement of the donor database to meet the organization’s fundraising and donor cultivation goals.
• Passionate commitment to PICO’s mission, vision, and strategic direction and a familiarity with social justice and organizing field.
• Minimum of 5 or more years of professional experience with a proven track record of securing six-figure, multi-year commitments from a variety of funding sources.
• A proven record of creating and implementing fundraising plans and strategies that generate impressive results, including especially with foundations and individual donors.
• Team leadership experience, including the ability to manage and coach diverse team members while establishing individual accountability within a collaborative, goal-driven environment
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to develop and strengthen internal and external relationships, and serve as a compelling spokesperson.
• Demonstrated experience leveraging fundraising databases (preferably Salesforce) to manage day-to-day tasks and track long-term strategic planning
• Excellent written communication, research, and organizational skills.
• Experience working with low-income and/or immigrant communities of color
• Cultural competence to work in a multicultural, multi-faith environment
• Self-motivated, ability to work well under pressure and handle several projects at once.
• Good judgment, flexibility and a sense of humor.
This position would be based in California with preference for Los Angeles. Some travel would be required.
PICO California is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in its staff, and offers a competitive salary and generous benefits. People of color are encouraged